- Health Needs for Bi Men
- Prostate Cancer Registry Helps Black Men
- Quick Start to Healthy Weight Loss
- ‘Really, Really Messed Up My Life’
- Black Men Can Beat Prostate Cancer
- Health Screenings for Older Black Men
- Healthy Man of the Month for July 2016
- HIV Testing is HIV Prevention
- Your ‘Mental’ Endurance
- Entertainment CEO DonJuan Clark
Coffee, Cancer, and Cholesterol…Yum!
That morning cup of java that you rely on to perk you up in the morning and keep you late at night has other benefits too. Once thought to be bad for you, data from Harvard tells us coffee does more than just go good with your doughnut. Coffee may have cancer-fighting properties. Researchers found that coffee drinkers were 50% less likely to get liver cancer than nondrinkers. A few studies have found ties to lower rates of colon, breast, and rectal cancers. This may not be a reason to start drinking coffee for you tea drinkers but it’s something to consider before giving up the caffeinated drink.
Additionally, for those with high cholesterol brace yourself. Two substances in coffee — kahweol and cafestol — raise cholesterol levels. Paper filters capture these substances, but that doesn’t help the many people who now drink non-filtered coffee drinks, such as lattes. So there you have it, both sides of coin. That deserves a cup of Joe!