- Quick Start to Healthy Weight Loss
- Black Men Can Beat Prostate Cancer
- Health Screenings for Older Black Men
- Healthy Man of the Month for July 2016
- HIV Testing is HIV Prevention
- Your ‘Mental’ Endurance
- Bisexual Health Priorities
- Entertainment CEO DonJuan Clark
- New Drug Helps Men with Melanoma
- ‘Really, Really Messed Up My Life’
Fix Your Funky Feet
Smelly feet can ruin your reputation. Regardless if it’s controllable or an odor that wreaks, stinky feet are a combination of old fashion sweat and the socks/shoes you are wearing. In fact, feet are capable of sweating more than a pint of sweat in a single day.
The smell occurs when bacteria that live on the skin eats, yes eats, the sweat and excretes waste that has a strong odor. This is why right after a long workout the sweat and bacteria combo is high enough that the smell is likely the worst. We generally don’t have this issue with our hands because our hands are exposed to the air and the sweat has a chance to escape into the evaporate into the air. In general sweat does not accumulate on our hands as it does on our feet.
Feet trapped inside socks and shoes can reach over 100 degrees Fahrenheit. The trapped sweat due to lack of airflow in the shoe, combined with the dark warmth of a shoe or sock is a breeding ground for bacteria.
Remedies for funky feet:
- Practice good foot hygiene by bathing your feet daily with a foot wash designed to kill those germs that occur most frequently on the feet. And change your socks and shoes at least once a day.
- Remove dead skin and calluses from your feet as they act like a sponge, absorbing perspiration and staying soggy for hours.
- Socks and shoes need special care to prevent them from contributing to foot odor:
- Wear socks that are made with 60-70% cotton and 30-40% manmade fibers such as Lycra. This removes the sweat from your feet, stopping skin bacteria from eating it and producing foul smelling wastes (foot odor).
By taking care of your feet, they will be sure to take care of you.