- Quick Start to Healthy Weight Loss
- Black Men Can Beat Prostate Cancer
- Health Screenings for Older Black Men
- Healthy Man of the Month for July 2016
- HIV Testing is HIV Prevention
- Your ‘Mental’ Endurance
- Bisexual Health Priorities
- Entertainment CEO DonJuan Clark
- New Drug Helps Men with Melanoma
- ‘Really, Really Messed Up My Life’
Rick Ross Gets Seizures
Rapper Rick Ross suffered medical emergencies aboard two separate flights, reportedly related to seizures. In fact, the 34-year-old Ross never made his scheduled appearance at an event called “Memphis Madness” on Friday night. Another seizure aboard a private jet carrying Ross forced an unscheduled landing according to reports.
Seizures are episodes of disturbed brain activity that cause changes in attention or behavior. They are serious and if you or a family member suffers from seizures you want to have a “safety plan” just in case you need to act quickly.
Sometimes it’s hard to tell if someone is having a seizure because some seizures only cause staring spells, which may go unnoticed. Specific symptoms of a seizure depend on what part of the brain is involved. They occur suddenly and may include:
- Change in alertness; the person cannot remember a period of time
- Mood changes, such as unexplainable fear, panic, joy, or laughter
- Rarely, hallucinations (seeing things that aren’t there)
- Falling, loss of muscle control, occurs very suddenly
- Muscle twitching that may spread up or down an arm or leg
- Muscle tension or tightening that causes twisting of the body, head, arms, or legs
Symptoms may stop after a few minutes, or continue for 15 minutes. They rarely continue longer but if they do, call 9-1-1 immediately. Often people who suffer seizures lose control of their bowel movements, so covering them with a blanket can save them from embarrassment later. Causes of seizures can include abnormal levels of sodium or glucose in the blood, brain injury (such as stroke or a head injury), brain tumor, bleeding in the brain, and dementia.
Ross was taken to a Florida hospital after he suffered an unidentified medical emergency on a Delta flight to Memphis a law enforcement source with direct knowledge of the situation told news outlets.
“Ross was breathing and conscious and alert when we reached the passenger on the plane,” said the source. “He was conscious on transport. He was assessed and transported to Broward General Medical Center.”
There is no specific way to prevent all seizures. However, they can possibly be controlled by taking medications as your doctor prescribes. Those who suffer from seizures should inform trusted colleagues and others to avoid panic during an episode. Family members should observe and record any seizure information to make sure the person gets proper treatment. And getting plenty of quality sleep, reducing stress, and exercising are also good practices to adopt. Poor health habits can make you more likely to have more seizures.
The Miami-based gangsta rapper gained fame with his husky voice and lyrics that spotlighted the grimier side of Miami life. He has become one of rap’s most popular figures in recent years. Ross’ real name is William Leonard Roberts II.