- Health Needs for Bi Men
- Prostate Cancer Registry Helps Black Men
- Quick Start to Healthy Weight Loss
- ‘Really, Really Messed Up My Life’
- Black Men Can Beat Prostate Cancer
- Health Screenings for Older Black Men
- Healthy Man of the Month for July 2016
- HIV Testing is HIV Prevention
- Your ‘Mental’ Endurance
- Entertainment CEO DonJuan Clark
Louisiana is ‘Most Violent’
The United States is less violent today than at any time in the last 20 years — Maine was the least violent state and Louisiana the most violent, according to a Cambridge group who surveyed and studied the issue.
The United States Peace Index, produced by Institute for Economics and Peace, found Cambridge, Mass., the most peaceful metropolitan area and Detroit the most violent. The index analyzes peacefulness at the state and city levels, via five indicators: The number of homicides, number of violent crimes, the incarceration rate, number of police employees and the availability of small arms.
There were improvements in all indicators from the 2011 to the 2012 Index. The national homicide rate decreased by 3.78%, the violent crime rate fell 6.03% and the total number of state prisoners fell by 0.6%. It’s important to keep in mind that among the most violent states, you will find similar characteristics of high poverty rates in minority communities and a history of racial strife among several states. It should also be noted that several states publicly refused stimulus funds, which could have impacted local resources and driving up crime.
Following Maine as the most peaceful states were:
- New Hampshire
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
By metropolitan area
1. Cambridge-Newton-Framingham, Mass. 2. Edison-New Brunswick, N.J. 3 Seattle-Bellevue-Everett, Wash. 4. Minneapolis-St. Paul-Bloomington, Minn. 5. Peabody, Mass.
… 55. Jacksonville, Fla. 56. Las Vegas-Paradise Nev. 57. Houston–Sugar Land–Baytown, Texas 58. Baltimore-Towson, Md. 59. Miami-Miami Beach-Kendal, Fla. 60. New Orleans-Metairie-Kenner, La. 61. Detroit-Livonia-Dearborn, Mich.