- Health Needs for Bi Men
- Prostate Cancer Registry Helps Black Men
- Quick Start to Healthy Weight Loss
- ‘Really, Really Messed Up My Life’
- Black Men Can Beat Prostate Cancer
- Health Screenings for Older Black Men
- Healthy Man of the Month for July 2016
- HIV Testing is HIV Prevention
- Your ‘Mental’ Endurance
- Entertainment CEO DonJuan Clark
The summer heat brings the need for cool, refreshing drinks– like smoothies. If you are like me and enjoy making your own, try these two recipes that pack a big flavor punch but also light in calories. Each recipe makes about two 10-12 ounce serving.
Trust me, you won’t believe this is low calorie once you tasted the strawberry banana or the honey peach recipe. If you like delicious, low calorie, smoothies. Try these immediately.
Strawberry-Blueberry-Banana Smoothie Ingredients:
- 1/3 cup fresh strawberries
- 1 large banana
- 1/4 cup blueberries
- 1 cup non-fat yogurt
- 2 packet sugar or sugar substitute. I also like using a shot glass of orange juice as a substitute.
- 2-2.5 cups of ice
Blend until fruit is fully integrated into ice and yogurt. Each serving is less than 250 calories and packed with vitamins, potassium, and antioxidants.
If you like strwberries and bananas, you malso want to try this recipe for a peach and flax seed smoothie. Although this honey peach flax seed smoothie would be delicious and healthy without adding the flax seed, it’s very satisfying and full of fiber once included. Another healthful benefit from the flax seed is the omega 3 it provides. Although it serves two people, feel free to drink the whole thing and make this a full-blown breakfast smoothie. That’s what I do and again this drink is less than 250 calories per serving.
Honey Peach Flax Seed Smoothie Ingredients
- 1 large peach or two small peaches (ripe)
- 1/2 cup of 2% milk (also fine to use soy, almond, or nonfat)
- 3 heaping tablespoons of plain nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon of regular vanilla yogurt
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 1/2-3/4 cup ice cubes