- ‘Really, Really Messed Up My Life’
- Quick Start to Healthy Weight Loss
- Black Men Can Beat Prostate Cancer
- Health Screenings for Older Black Men
- Healthy Man of the Month for July 2016
- HIV Testing is HIV Prevention
- Your ‘Mental’ Endurance
- Bisexual Health Priorities
- Entertainment CEO DonJuan Clark
- New Drug Helps Men with Melanoma
First it was Diddy donning a Scottish kilt on stage, then we saw Kanye’s killing a kilt. Will brothers pick up on the trend in the hood? We won’t hold our breath but researchers give another good reason to consider the kilt.
According to researchers, Scots who wear traditional kilts — without underwear — have more fertile sperm. Healthy sperm is not always a given, especially when you consider the trend of skinny jeans, possibly choking off healthy sperm. Overall, sperm health depends on various factors, including quantity, quality and movement:
- Quantity. The semen discharged in a single ejaculation — contains more than 15 million sperm per milliliter. That’s a lot of …
- Quality. Normal sperm have oval heads and long tails, which work together to propel them forward. The more sperm you have with a normal shape and structure, the more likely you are to be fertile.
- Movement. To reach and penetrate an egg, sperm must move — wriggling and swimming through a woman’s cervix, uterus and fallopian tubes. This is known as motility. You’re most likely to be fertile if more than 40 percent of your sperm are moving.
Researchers said the best condition for men’s testicles to produce fertile sperm requires the testicles to be about 37 degrees cooler than the rest of the body. Tight-fitting underwear can raise the temperature and lead to less fertile sperm, The (Edinburgh) Herald said.
“It seems plausible that men should wear skirts and avoid trousers, at least during the period during which they plan to conceive,” said Dr. Erwin Kompanje, the study’s author.
Hmmm. So now we don’t have to just await for the infamous baby bumps on new-moms-to-be, all we have to do is watch which men wear skirts over trousers and we’ll get a clue on who’s trying to conceieve. Score one for fertile sperm…and kilts!
Some content provided by MayoClinic.com