- ‘Really, Really Messed Up My Life’
- Quick Start to Healthy Weight Loss
- Black Men Can Beat Prostate Cancer
- Health Screenings for Older Black Men
- Healthy Man of the Month for July 2016
- HIV Testing is HIV Prevention
- Your ‘Mental’ Endurance
- Bisexual Health Priorities
- Entertainment CEO DonJuan Clark
- New Drug Helps Men with Melanoma
High Energy Food
In the 21st century, one cannot help but be super-busy. Whether you are a parent, single professional, or student- life is demanding. And too often, we skip the ‘the most important meal of the day.’ Research shows breakfast improves alertness and concentration, helps shed pounds by preventing overeating during the day. In a real way, eating breakfast can prevent obesity, diabetes, and heart disease.
Fats and carbohydrates may supply the body with energy, but protein helps regulate the release of that power. Protein maintains cells, assists in growth, transports hormones and vitamins, and preserves lean muscle mass. Muscles and many hormones are, in fact, made up of protein. You need proteins for your immune system. So replenishing your body’s source of the nutrient is very important.
Good sources of protein include meat, poultry, fish, eggs, beans, nuts, soy, and low-fat dairy products. When you eat these types of foods, your body breaks down the protein that they contain into amino acids (the building blocks of proteins).
To get these benefits and to prepare the body for the day, the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics recommends eating carbohydrates for energy and protein for endurance, like:
- Whole grain bagel with cheese
- Cereal with fruit and yogurt
- Whole grain toast with peanut butter and fruit
- Hard-boiled egg sliced into a whole wheat pita
- Scrambled eggs, toast, and fruit
Lastly, being properly hydrated is a quick and easy way to keep your energy high. The body needs water. You can drink the vitamin waters and energy drinks which, unless you’re an endurance athlete, just add unnecessary calories. So keep a fresh and ready source of water by you at all times, and drink at least 1 cup every 2 hours. If you are active during hot summer months, drink more.