- Health Needs for Bi Men
- Prostate Cancer Registry Helps Black Men
- Quick Start to Healthy Weight Loss
- ‘Really, Really Messed Up My Life’
- Black Men Can Beat Prostate Cancer
- Health Screenings for Older Black Men
- Healthy Man of the Month for July 2016
- HIV Testing is HIV Prevention
- Your ‘Mental’ Endurance
- Entertainment CEO DonJuan Clark
7 Signs of Sex Addiction
Stereotypically, many women might tend think most men are inherently sex addicts. Science has long reported men think about sex more often than they think about food.
Sexual addiction is indeed a progressive intimacy disorder. It is manageable but is characterized by compulsive sexual thoughts and acts. Like all addictions, its negative impact on the addict and on family member’s increases as the disorder progresses.
For many male sex addicts, the behavior does not progress beyond compulsive masturbation or the extensive use of pornography or Internet sex services. For others, addiction can progress to the risky and illegal- like exhibitionism, obscene phone calls, public indecency, or even sexual assault.
There is no official diagnosis but therapeutic counseling for sex addiction exists. To be considered ‘addicted to sex,’ a criteria based on chemical dependency is often used and often includes:
- Frequently engaging in more sex and with more partners than intended.
- Being preoccupied with or chronically ‘craving sex’.
- Desire to reduce sexual activity but unsuccessful attempts to limit sexual activity.
- Thinking of sex to the detriment of other activities.
- Spending lots of time in activities related to sex (e.g. cruising, porn sites).
- Neglecting other life obligations such as work, school or family in pursuit of sex.
- Feeling irritable when unable to engage in the desired behavior.
The Society for the Advancement of Sexual Health (SASH) is a nonprofit multidisciplinary organization dedicated to scholarship, training, and resources for promoting sexual health and overcoming problematic sexual behaviors. There are many other resources around the nation, research options in your community.