- ‘Really, Really Messed Up My Life’
- Quick Start to Healthy Weight Loss
- Black Men Can Beat Prostate Cancer
- Health Screenings for Older Black Men
- Healthy Man of the Month for July 2016
- HIV Testing is HIV Prevention
- Your ‘Mental’ Endurance
- Bisexual Health Priorities
- Entertainment CEO DonJuan Clark
- New Drug Helps Men with Melanoma
Failing Black Boys
Should President Barack Obama personally take an interest in the state of black boys and black men in the USA?
A new report about our American education system reveals that black males are doing absolutely horribly by nearly every measure. Oh, you knew that already? No, we mean worse than was already thought. Yes, it’s that bad.
- “Only 12 percent of black fourth-grade boys are proficient in reading, compared with 38 percent of white boys, and only 12 percent of black eighth-grade boys are proficient in math, compared with 44 percent of white boys.”
- Only 5% of college students in 2008 were black men. At the same time, black men were incarcerated more than any other demographic group—at 6.5 times the rate of white males.
What if this was a dire issue for white boys and girls? Do you think our collective response would be different? Would this story have “legs” as they say in the media? What would it take to American leaders behind a meaningful yet radical change to address this mess?