- ‘Really, Really Messed Up My Life’
- Quick Start to Healthy Weight Loss
- Black Men Can Beat Prostate Cancer
- Health Screenings for Older Black Men
- Healthy Man of the Month for July 2016
- HIV Testing is HIV Prevention
- Your ‘Mental’ Endurance
- Bisexual Health Priorities
- Entertainment CEO DonJuan Clark
- New Drug Helps Men with Melanoma
Major Beef Recall
A Kansas meatpacker has recalled 50,100 pounds of ground beef that may be contaminated with E. coli bacteria, the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service said.
The USDA said late on Wednesday that routine monitoring had confirmed the presence of E.coli O157:H7 in the meat produced by the National Beef Packing Co of Liberal, Kansas. It said there had been no reports of illness.
The potentially deadly bacterium can cause bloody diarrhea, dehydration and, in the most severe cases, kidney failure. The very young, the elderly and people with weak immune systems are the most susceptible to food borne illness, the USDA said.
The products were produced on July 18 and shipped in 40-pound to 60-pound cases to retailers, wholesalers, and food service distributors nationwide.
The recalled meat carries the number “EST. 208A” inside the USDA mark of inspection, the department said. The news had a negligible impact on Chicago Mercantile Exchange live cattle futures early Thursday.
“It’s nothing. It’s so small compared to what we produce and nobody was sickened,” said K&S Financials analyst Jack Salzsieder. “Packers are careful about what they do. Even if there was the slightest hint of a problem, they’d recall it,” he said.
The USDA said these products are subject to the recall:
• 10 lb. chub of “National Beef” 93/ 7 Fine Ground Beef, Product Code 0707
• 10 lb. chub of “NatureSource” 80/20 Fine Ground Chuck, Product Code 7031
• 10 lb. chub of “NatureSource” 85/15 Fine Ground Beef, Product Code 7054
• 10 lb. chub of “NatureSource” 90/10 Fine Ground Beef, Product Code 7344
• 10 lb. chub of “NatureSource” 93/ 7 Fine Ground Beef, Product Code 7004
• 10 lb. chub of “NatureWell 80/20 Fine Ground Chuck, Product Code 7484
• 10 lb. chub of “NatureWell” 85/15 Fine Ground Beef, Product Code 7454
• 10 lb. chub of “NatureWell” 90/10 Fine Ground Sirloin, Product Code 7577
• 10 lb. chub of “NatureWell” 93/7 Fine Ground Beef, Product Code 7404
The USDA’s Food Safety and Inspection Service said neither it nor the company had received any reports of illness associated with the products. People concerned about an illness should contact a doctor. USDA data for the week ending July 27 showed the industry produced 508.4 million lbs of beef and 14.5 billion lbs year to date.