- Quick Start to Healthy Weight Loss
- Black Men Can Beat Prostate Cancer
- Health Screenings for Older Black Men
- Healthy Man of the Month for July 2016
- HIV Testing is HIV Prevention
- Your ‘Mental’ Endurance
- Bisexual Health Priorities
- Entertainment CEO DonJuan Clark
- New Drug Helps Men with Melanoma
- ‘Really, Really Messed Up My Life’
National Day of Prayer is May 1, 2014 and if you are not sure how to pray, or haven’t prayed in a long while don’t worry. Everyone has had to learn or re-learn to pray at some point. Just talk with God respectfully but openly. Talk with Him as your Father.
In prayer, you should look to the Holy Spirit (e.g. the Universe, the Divine, etc.) go help you to pray effectively. He can give you the right words with which you can pray effectively. Its very good to ask the Holy Spirit to help you to pray. Talk to the Holy Spirit as a person, and ask Him to help you to come to the Father in Jesus’ name.
You will find that you can pray anytime, anywhere, anyhow. Prayer can be long or short in length. Think of prayer as your personal conversation with the higher power. It may help to be in a place where the focus is on spirituality (such as a church or temple) or where the environment reminds you of your spiritual bond (like a natural setting, or a spot with a big view). You can choose to pray in the presence of others, or you can pray privately.
- For some religions, like Buddhism, meditation is a standard form of prayer (or, sometimes, prayer is a standard form of meditation). Finding a place where you can quiet yourself and feel connected to your spirituality is an equally respectable form of prayer.
- Prayer can be a conversation, but it certainly doesn’t have to be. Some religions relish prayer as an opportunity for intellectual contemplation. Also, prayer does not have to have anything to do with you. Roman Catholic tradition includes specific prayers and devotions as “acts of reparation,” or amending others’ sins.
- Once you know why you’re praying, is there anyone specific you’re thinking of to talk to? If you are looking to have a dialogue, who with?
One of the most solemn and recited prayers is The Lord’s Prayer.
The Lord’s Prayer
Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name.
Your Kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as in heaven
Give us today our daily bread.
Forgive us our sins,
as we forgive those who sin against us.
Lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.
For the kingdom,
the power and the glory are yours.
Now and for ever.