- Quick Start to Healthy Weight Loss
- Black Men Can Beat Prostate Cancer
- Health Screenings for Older Black Men
- Healthy Man of the Month for July 2016
- HIV Testing is HIV Prevention
- Your ‘Mental’ Endurance
- Bisexual Health Priorities
- Entertainment CEO DonJuan Clark
- New Drug Helps Men with Melanoma
- ‘Really, Really Messed Up My Life’
3 Ways to Build Bigger Biceps
So summer is almost here and your fitness goals include BIG BICEPS. But how do you get them? We’ve got three strategies to add size to your arms. There are many ways to gain entry to the gun show but these three work for sure.
Did you know the biceps are made up of two muscles on the front of the upper arm? There is the long and short head. You can do chin-ups, dumbbell curls, and concentration curls.
Chin-Ups. This exercise may be difficult at first, but it’s an excellent way to increase the size of your biceps. Grip a bar with your hands placed shoulder-width apart and your palms facing you. Cross your feet and lift your body until your chin is higher than your hands.
Dumbbell Curls. Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart. Hold dumbbells in either hand at your sides, with your arms fully extended and your palms turned in. Curl the dumbbells to your chest.
- Do between 8-10 reps and 2 sets. Increase to 3 sets after a week. After that, you can increase the dumbbell weights.
Concentration Curls. Sit on an exercise seat with your feet flat on the ground shoulder-width apart. Lean forward so that your right elbow is touching the inside of your right knee, and your arm is fully extended. Curl the dumbbell toward your chest, keeping your elbow in the same spot.
- Place your opposite hand on your opposite knee for stability.
- Do between 8-12 reps and 3 sets, then repeat with other arm.
There are variables to consider to getting bigger guns: volume and frequency. Add a few extra sets of dumbbell or unilateral cable curls with your smaller arm at the end of your biceps workouts. Also, add an extra workout day or two each week where you only do sets of curls for the smaller arm—4-6 sets in each of these workouts should suffice. Do this for a couple weeks, then measure. Good luck.