kamagra 100mg oral jelly sildenafil

Fathers Who Want Child Custody

By on September 21, 2015

A judge has granted R&B singer Chris Brown joint custody of his young daughter in Texas. And even if you have a not-so-stellar history, you can likely gain some level of physical custody of your biological child.

Unmarried fathers can take action to be awarded custody of a child according to the website, LegalMatch.com. For more information on Understanding Father’s Child Custody Rights, click here.

In most states, if the father’s name is on the child’s birth certificate, he will automatically be recognized as the child’s legal father and have an equal amount of standing in court as the mother. Otherwise, a father’s rights depend on his suitability to have custody.

An unwed father cannot win primary physical custody over a mother who is a good parent, but may be able to establish some custody or visitation rights. And the standard in a court of law is ‘what’s in the best interest of the child.’

Determining the best interests of a child includes many factors, here are several:

  • Child’s age, gender, mental and physical health
  • Health of parents
  • Lifestyle and other social factors of parents
  • Love and emotional ties between parent and child
  • Parents ability to provide food, shelter, clothing and medical care
  • Quality of schools in a given locale
  • Child’s preference if the child is over 12
  • Ability and willingness of the parent to foster a healthy relationship between child and other parent
  • Stability of the environment

According to the Associated Press, a judge in Houston agreed with Chris Brown’s request to share custody of the toddler, Royalty, with the child’s mother, Nia Guzman.

Brown’s attorney, Mark Geragos (GEHR’-uh-gohs), says Guzman previously had primary custody of the girl, who was born about 16 months ago in Houston. Brown must continue monthly child support payments of $2,500. Guzman had sought $15,000 per month.

Content for this article provided by Associated Press, LegalMatch.com and Reuters.