- Health Needs for Bi Men
- Prostate Cancer Registry Helps Black Men
- Quick Start to Healthy Weight Loss
- ‘Really, Really Messed Up My Life’
- Black Men Can Beat Prostate Cancer
- Health Screenings for Older Black Men
- Healthy Man of the Month for July 2016
- HIV Testing is HIV Prevention
- Your ‘Mental’ Endurance
- Entertainment CEO DonJuan Clark
Heart Health for Him
All of us want to look our best and if you’re carrying a few extra pounds of fat, you may not feel so hot. So as you commit to the gym or a home-based exercise routine, there are several things to consider.
First, to burn fat you simply must burn more calories than you take in everyday. Therefore diet is a huge component to your success. No surprises there, right? Whether you have five pounds or fifty-five pounds to lose consider the “food rules” below
to help you get to where you wanna be.
Food Guidelines to Reduce Fat Intake
- Stay away from processed foods as much as possible, specifically fast food joints
- Eliminate deep fried foods from your diet and increase fish and poultry options
- Watch your consumption of beer, wine, and sugar like a hawk—be modest
- Increase the amount of fresh leafy greens and fresh vegetables in your diet
- Reduce the amount of pasta, potatoes, and rice in your diet
You should also calculate your target heart rate while exercising and make sure that you are within your ideal range. You can find yours by subtracting your age from 220 then multiplying that number by .60 and .85 to find your high and low ranges. Also, find out about getting your body composition tested (if possible) so you know how much fat you are losing, rather than just how much weight you are losing. It’s an ideal way to mark your progress.
If you are not a marathoner, no worries. But start running. Even if you are over 40, you can start walking until you work up to a light jog, then a full-fledge run. You’ll continue to burn fat after your jog: People who run for at least four hours a week melt more calories than non-runners, according to the Yale University School of Medicine study reports.
There are lots of other cardiovascular exercises besides running as well. And once you’ve begun a cardiovascular activity like tennis, running,
swimming, roller-blading, biking, etc. give your all up front. Staying at 80% of your max heart rate for 40 minutes can amp your metabolism for 19 hours afterward, says research published in Obesity notes.
Just do something. Burning fat never felt so good!
Content for this article courtesy of Obesity, Yale University School of Medicine report, and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.