- Health Needs for Bi Men
- Prostate Cancer Registry Helps Black Men
- Quick Start to Healthy Weight Loss
- ‘Really, Really Messed Up My Life’
- Black Men Can Beat Prostate Cancer
- Health Screenings for Older Black Men
- Healthy Man of the Month for July 2016
- HIV Testing is HIV Prevention
- Your ‘Mental’ Endurance
- Entertainment CEO DonJuan Clark
Are You Pre-Diabetic?
One in three American adults has prediabetes, but only 10% of them know they have it.
Prediabetes means a person’s blood glucose (sugar) level is higher than normal, but not high enough yet to be diagnosed with diabetes. People with prediabetes are on the road to develop type 2 diabetes within several years, and are also at increased risk for serious health problems, such as stroke and heart disease.
There are some prediabetes risks you can’t control, like age and family history. But there are things you can do to reduce your risk, such as increased physical activity and weight loss. And making these lifestyle changes can also help prevent or delay the onset of type 2 diabetes.
About 15-30% of people who have pre diabetes will develop type 2 diabetes within 5 years. If you don’t make lifestyle changes, it puts you at greater risk. Studies show that losing just 5-7 percent of your body weight, by eating healthier and doing regular exercise can help prevent or delay the onset of type 2 diabetes. For a person who weighs 200 pounds, that’s about 10-15 pounds.
Evidence shows that the diabetes prevention program is the most effective way to reverse prediabetes.
If one or more of these things below applies to you, you’re at risk for prediabetes and type 2 diabetes:
- Have a family history of diabetes
- Are over age 40-the risk for diabetes increases as you get older
- Are overweight
- Have a history of gestational diabetes- diabetes or high blood sugar when pregnant
- Have high blood pressure
Talk with your doctor, and ask if he or she can connect you with a Diabetes Prevention Program or nutrition counseling, which can help you learn to eat less of the foods that are bad for you, and more of the foods that are good for you.
For more information visit this website.