- Health Needs for Bi Men
- Prostate Cancer Registry Helps Black Men
- Quick Start to Healthy Weight Loss
- ‘Really, Really Messed Up My Life’
- Black Men Can Beat Prostate Cancer
- Health Screenings for Older Black Men
- Healthy Man of the Month for July 2016
- HIV Testing is HIV Prevention
- Your ‘Mental’ Endurance
- Entertainment CEO DonJuan Clark
10 Ways to Improve Your Memory
There are times we all forget to return an email, phone call, or even misplace the car keys. With so much data already occupying space on our brains, we tend to forget. You’re not alone. Everyone forgets things occasionally. Still, memory loss can be annoying and for millions a daily.
Normal aging can cause some forgetfulness. It is normal to have some trouble learning new material or needing more time to remember it. But normal aging does not lead to dramatic memory loss. Such memory loss is due to other diseases.
10 Strategies to Improve Your Memory
- Avoid illicit drug use at all cost
- Meditate, try yoga, participate in a routine calming activity
- Explore your creative side, exercise your whole brain (e.g. paint, write stories, act in a play, etc.)
- Eat more antioxidant rich foods
- Play brain games, try crossword puzzles, video games, etc.
- Integrate physical exercise into your life
- Learn a new skill and apply it in some meaningful way
- Get restful sleep consistently
- Stop trying to multi-task and focus on specific tasks
- Use visual cues to written words, instructions, etc.
Whether you are 25 or 55, consider these 10 tactical strategies to sharpen your memory — and most importantly know when to seek help for memory loss.
There are lots of other tips to help improve memory. Here are some from the AARP.