- Quick Start to Healthy Weight Loss
- Black Men Can Beat Prostate Cancer
- Health Screenings for Older Black Men
- Healthy Man of the Month for July 2016
- HIV Testing is HIV Prevention
- Your ‘Mental’ Endurance
- Bisexual Health Priorities
- Entertainment CEO DonJuan Clark
- New Drug Helps Men with Melanoma
- ‘Really, Really Messed Up My Life’
Addiction Expert Michael Herbert
Michael Herbert has 25 years of experience in addiction treatment, from intervention to aftercare. He’s the former Director of Program Development at the DelRay Recovery Center and current owner of the Recovery Guide, LLC.
And at times it seems as if he’s fighting a battle that won’t end. But it reminds him of another battle he wins each day, his own recovery.
“It took awhile for me to get a handle on my on stuff. I’ve been dealing with my own recovery for more than two decades. You can get fooled into thinking you beat it. You have to stay vigilant.”
There are about 44.5 million African Americans in the United States. And according to data from the National Survey on Drug Use and Health (NSDUH) – 2014 (PDF | 3.4 MB):
- The rate of illegal drug use in the last month among African Americans ages 12 and up in 2014 was 12.4%, compared to the national average of 10.2%.
- The rate of binge drinking (drinking five or more drinks on a single occasion for men) among African Americans ages 12 and up was 21.6%–compared with the national average of 23%.
The need for warriors on the front lines of the substance abuse issue requires talented people like Mr. Herbert.
“I’ve been doing this for more than twenty years. I still feel like there is much work to do.”
He is a seasoned interventionist and an accomplished expert in addiction counseling, self-help methods, aftercare programs, and the implementation of drug abuse prevention strategies. Michael is a national speaker on topics such as addiction in families; men’s issues in recovery; wealth, power and fame in addiction.
Michael’s international work includes teaching addiction counseling at Behman Hospital, Cairo, Egypt, working as a consultant for the Cairo American College and the Maadi Psychological Center, and developing and facilitating self-help groups in North Africa and prevention work in Cape Town South Africa.
Michael has also consulted with Columbia Tri-Star television. Michael Herbert in his 14-year tenure at the Caron Foundation Florida he has served as a primary therapist, family therapist, program director and clinical director of the Ocean Drive program. Michael is a certified intervention profession, along with national and international addiction counselor along with being a professional coach working with individuals, groups and families on addiction, wellness, and recovery issues.
And at the age of 52, Herbert ran 155 miles across the Sahara desert…for fun! Along with being a cross fit enthusiast Michael is also proud to be a Hoffman Process Graduate. He resides in the state of Florida.