- Health Needs for Bi Men
- Prostate Cancer Registry Helps Black Men
- Quick Start to Healthy Weight Loss
- ‘Really, Really Messed Up My Life’
- Black Men Can Beat Prostate Cancer
- Health Screenings for Older Black Men
- Healthy Man of the Month for July 2016
- HIV Testing is HIV Prevention
- Your ‘Mental’ Endurance
- Entertainment CEO DonJuan Clark
7 Foods to Fight Heartburn
Heartburn is commonly caused due to the intake of some foods and beverages. For example, gastric foods and fried foods like burger, radish etc can cause heartburn.
Though you can take some medications at home to cure heartburn but still consult a doctor if not cured. Heartburn can cause gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), a chronic condition that is harmful for your overall health.
The natural acids in foods you eat — like many fruits, vegetables, and drinks — play a role, too.
To curb heartburn, build more of your meals around naturally low-acid foods like these lucky seven:
- Melons and bananas. Bananas are always handy as a snack food. All sorts of melons are good, like watermelon, cantaloupe, and honeydew.
- Oatmeal. It’s a great way to start your day. Oatmeal doesn’t cause reflux, it’s filling, and it has lots of healthy fiber.
- Bread. Whole-grain — it will be the first ingredient on the label — which is made with unprocessed grains. Other healthy-sounding breads — like wheat, whole-wheat, or 7-grain — may be made with refined grains, which are stripped of natural fiber, vitamins, and other nutrients.
- Lean poultry and meats. Prepare chicken and turkey grilled, broiled, baked, or steamed. Just remove the skin — and don’t fry it.
- Potatoes. All kinds of root vegetables are good.
- Fish. Avoid frying but grilled, poached, and baked fish are all good choices.
- Egg whites. They’re a good source of protein and are low in acid. Just skip the yolk, which is more likely to cause symptoms.
Other foods and herbs have long been treatments for reflux and upset stomach include fennel, ginger, and parsley. If acid reflux is becoming commonplace, see a physician as soon as possible and assess your food intake for the offenders.