- Health Needs for Bi Men
- Prostate Cancer Registry Helps Black Men
- Quick Start to Healthy Weight Loss
- ‘Really, Really Messed Up My Life’
- Black Men Can Beat Prostate Cancer
- Health Screenings for Older Black Men
- Healthy Man of the Month for July 2016
- HIV Testing is HIV Prevention
- Your ‘Mental’ Endurance
- Entertainment CEO DonJuan Clark
New Diabetes Injectable
The injectable drug Adlyxin (lixisenatide) has been approved to treat adults with type 2 diabetes, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration says.
The once-daily injection is to be used along with diet and exercise to improve patients’ blood sugar levels.
The FDA reviewed 10 clinical trials on the safety and effectiveness of Adlyxin. These studies included 5,400 people with type 2 diabetes. The drug was also specifically tested for heart issues in an additional 6,000 people at risk of heart disease, the FDA said Thursday in a news release.
The FDA concluded that Adlyxin helps normalize blood sugar levels. And it doesn’t appear to increase the risk of heart problems.
Adlyxin is in a class of drugs called glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1) receptor agonists. Other GLP-1 drugs include liraglutide (Victoza), exenatide (Byetta, Bydureon) and dulaglutide (Trulicity), according to the American Diabetes Association.
Full article here.