- ‘Really, Really Messed Up My Life’
- Quick Start to Healthy Weight Loss
- Black Men Can Beat Prostate Cancer
- Health Screenings for Older Black Men
- Healthy Man of the Month for July 2016
- HIV Testing is HIV Prevention
- Your ‘Mental’ Endurance
- Bisexual Health Priorities
- Entertainment CEO DonJuan Clark
- New Drug Helps Men with Melanoma
Get this Heart Health App
Its always the right time to focus on heart health. Cardiovascular disease (CVD), which includes heart disease and stroke, is the leading cause of death in the United States.
About half of adults in the United States have at least one major CVD risk factor, and certain demographic groups face elevated risk.
Marshfield Clinic Research Foundation (MCRF), a division of Marshfield Clinic (a HRSA primary health care and rural health grantee), is putting heart health at patients’ fingertips with a mobile app to identify and reduce CVD risk. Get the mobile app here.
Heart Health Mobile identifies and supports actionable steps to help users control their CVD risk. Key features include:
- An interactive risk assessment tool. Users enter their risk factors including age, weight, smoking status, blood pressure, and cholesterol. As users enter more data, risk levels adjust accordingly.
- A GPS-enabled map that identifies nearby screening locations and prompts users to call and schedule appointments to obtain current blood pressure and cholesterol numbers if unknown.
- The ability to adjust risk factors to display how lifestyle and health changes could impact CVD risk.
- User progress tracking to enable self-monitoring of changes in heart health risk over time.
- Multi-lingual support, notifications and reminders, and educational materials to help users better understand and manage their heart health.
- Social media integration so users can share the app.
- Games to enrich the user experience.
This article is courtesy of HRSA.