- ‘Really, Really Messed Up My Life’
- Quick Start to Healthy Weight Loss
- Black Men Can Beat Prostate Cancer
- Health Screenings for Older Black Men
- Healthy Man of the Month for July 2016
- HIV Testing is HIV Prevention
- Your ‘Mental’ Endurance
- Bisexual Health Priorities
- Entertainment CEO DonJuan Clark
- New Drug Helps Men with Melanoma
‘Really, Really Messed Up My Life’
Obsession with sex and pornography is a real issue for many Black boys and men.
From former NBA star, LaMar Odom who nearly lost his life at a Nevada brothel or Hip-Hop icon, LL Cool J, to gospel singer Kirk Franklin and actor Terry Crews all publicly acknowledged a problem with porn. Many of these men, acknowledged the problem started when they were young.
Recent surveys say about forty million adults in the U.S. visit internet pornography sites on a regular basis and 1 in 5 internet searches on a mobile device are for pornography.
Actor Terry Crews is opening up about his addiction to pornography, which he says “really, really messed up my life.”
In a new series of videos posted to Facebook, the former NFL player says he had to go to rehab for his addiction, which consumed him and threatened his marriage.
Immediate accessibility of sexually explicit material is a growing concern as an estimated 9 out of 10 boys are exposed to some form of pornography before 18 years old.
Excessive viewing of pornography can affect teenagers psychologically and socially Unintended consequences can include:
- Increase in high-risk sexual behaviors.
- Skewed view of behavioral norms.
- Barrier to building healthy relationships.
- Normalization of sexual violence.
Talking to Wendy Williams back in 2014, the Brooklyn-Nine-Nine actor said “I’ve been addicted to pornography since I was 12-years-old. Let me tell you, it was funny because my father was addicted to alcohol and my mother was addicted to religion so what happened was I grew up in an addictive household.”
If you are struggling with porn addiction or an addiction to sex, talk to a professional for treatment options like individual, group, 12 step, couple’s, and inpatient therapies. Start your recovery process today.